Blog

How Has Medical Technology Improved Bone Grafting?

07 Sep 2021

There have been several advances in modern technology that improve bone grafting. These technologies have improved the effectiveness of bone grafting while lowering the risk of side effects. A 16-year study of 2 million bone grafting candidates displayed that 83% of bone grafts use autogenous bone grafts taken from the patient. On the other hand, only 17% involved synthetic bone graft substitutes and synthetic bone graft putty. Here are some of the medical technologies that have improved bone grafting.

Synthetic Bone Grafting

There have been a lot of technologies that have improved the technique of bone grafting. One such technology is synthetic bone graft putty. This technique has transformed bone repair. Traditional bone grafting has seen a lot of success due to the fact that they use the patient’s tissue. Synthetic bone grafting also offers similar results.

However, unlike traditional methods, synthetic bone grafting is without the risk of dangerous diseases. Synthetic bone graft putty is manufactured under strict sterile conditions, and they are carefully handled to prevent disease transmission. Apart from that, these synthetic biomaterials will not be rejected because they are manufactured using proteins similar to those found in the human body. This means the bone will grow properly and create new bone.

Osteoconduction

Synthetic bone grafts include activated or ordinary materials. Activated bone grafts are those that have extra qualities that improve their effectiveness. They essentially have different properties to ordinary bone tissue. Some of the properties include osteoconduction, osteoprotection, and osteoinduction. Most of the bone grafts that are manufactured have an osteoconductive effect.

These grafts are manufactured with optimal physical and chemical properties. Some of them are also spiked with indefinite biologically active substances. These grafts cause an accelerated rate of bone regeneration. Activated bone grafts are most effective in cases where there are insufficient natural reparative processes. These situations are characterized by a poor intensity of osteogenesis. This is where activated bone grafts come in with extra features that stimulate accelerated bone regrowth.

These are some of the technologies that have been developed to improve bone grafting. Most of the developments are to make bone grafting safer or to accelerate the rate of bone repair. These technologies come in handy in situations where there is insufficient natural bone regrowth and repair. Their enhanced features make the bone grafting process more successful with accelerated results.